Dr. Alan H. Yang
Dr. Alan Hao Yang is Executive Director of Taiwan-Asia Exchange Foundation (TAEF). He also serves as Deputy Director of the Institute of International Relations (IIR) and Executive Director of the Center for Southeast Asian Studies (CSEAS) at National Chengchi University, Taiwan. CSEAS is the Secretariat of the Consortium for Southeast Asian Studies in Asia (SEASIA) since 2018. He teaches at the Graduate Institute of East Asian Studies (GIEAS) as a distinguished professor of Southeast Asia studies and offering courses related to regionalism and Sino-Southeast Asian relations. Dr. Yang engages in track II diplomacy in the Asia-Pacific. He was the Executive Secretary and Executive Director of the Secretariat of Taiwan Participatory Group to the Council for Security Cooperation in the Asia Pacific (CSCAP Taiwan) between 2010 to 2018.
Dr. Yang was awarded the SUSI Fellowship from the U.S. Department of State incapacity of visiting professor of U.S. foreign policy at the Department of Political Science, University of Florida. He was also affiliated with the Center for Southeast Asian Studies at Kyoto University in Japan as a visiting scholar. As for academic services, he serves on the international editorial board of the leading international study journal International Studies Review and the Journal of Human Values.
His research interests cover ASEAN regionalism, disaster governance, border politics, and resistance politics in Southeast Asia. Dr. Yang has published more than 80 journal articles on China-ASEAN relations, international relations of Southeast Asia, security governance and disaster preparedness as well as the international political economy in the Asia-Pacific in international referred journals such as Pacific Affairs, Pacific Review, Issues & Studies, Journal of Asian Public Policy, Journal of Human Values, China Brief.
- H. H. Michael Hsiao and Alan H. Yang. Nov. 2020 "Taiwan Policy under Biden Administration," Global Taiwan Brief. Vol. 5, Issue 22
- Leo chang and Alan H. Yang. Nov. 2020 "The One China Policy cannot Continue to Supersede Fundamental Human Rights," Taiwan Insight, 2020 Nov. 18
- Alan H. Yang and Jeremy Chiang, 2019. "The Risky Game of Jenga Being Playing in the Taiwan Strait," The National Interest
- Jeremy Chiang and Alan H. Yang. Sept. 2018. "A Nation Reborn? Taiwan's Belated Recognition of Its Southeast Asia Heritage," the Diplomat
- Jeremy Chiang and Alan H. Yang. Sept. 2018. "China's 'Divide and Conquer' Charm Offensive," the Interpreter
Selected Recent Publications:
- Chia-Chien Chang and Alan H. Yang, 2020, “Weaponized Interdependence: China’s Economic Statecraft and Social Penetration against Taiwan”, ORBIS, 64 (2): 312-333
- Alan H. Yang and Judy H.S. Wu, 2020, "Building a Disaster Resilient Community in Taiwan: A Social Capital Analysis of the Meizhou Experience", Politics and Governance, 8(4): 386-394
- Alan H. Yang and Jeremy H. C. Chiang. 2019. "Enabling Human Values in Foreign Policy: The Transformation of Taiwan's New Southbound Policy," Journal of Human Values, 25 (2): 75-86. (indexed in SCOPUS, ESCI, ICI)
- Alan H. Yang and Jeremy H. C. Chiang. 2019. "Strategic Highlights of Taiwan's People-centered New Southbound Policy," Asia-Pacific Bulletin, No. 469, pp. 1-2
- Maris Diokno, H. H. Michael Hsiao, and Alan H. Yang, eds. 2018. China’s Footprint in Southeast Asia. Singapore: National University of Singapore Press.
- Alan H. Yang. 2018. “Unpacking Taiwan’s Presence in Southeast Asia: The International Socialization of the New Southbound Policy.” Issues & Studies. 54 (1): 1-30.
- Pascal Abb and Alan H. Yang. 2018. “The Impact of Democratization, Political Culture, and Diplomatic Isolation on Think Tank Development in Taiwan.” Pacific Affairs. 91(1): 73-94.
- H.H. Michael Hsiao and Alan H. Yang. 2018. “Repositioning Taiwan in Southeast Asia: Strategies to Enhance People-to-People Connectivity.” NBR Brief. pp.1-5.
- Alan H. Yang. 2018. “The Making of “Indo-Pacific: Driving Forces, Diverse Discourses and Contending Strategies.” Issues and Studies. 57(2): 87-105. (In Chinese).
- Alan H. Yang. 2017. “Revisiting Taiwan's New Southbound Policy: Agenda, Networks and Challenges.” Issues and Studies. 56(1): 123-143. (In Chinese).