Dr. Alan H. Yang
Dr. Alan Hao Yang is Executive Director of Taiwan-Asia Exchange Foundation (TAEF). He also serves as Deputy Director of the Institute of International Relations (IIR) and Executive Director of the Center for Southeast Asian Studies (CSEAS) at National Chengchi University, Taiwan. He teaches at the Graduate Institute of East Asian Studies (GIEAS) on Southeast Asia regionalism and Sino-Southeast Asian relations. Dr. Yang engages in track II diplomacy as the Executive Director of the Secretariat of Taiwan Participatory Group to the Council for Security Cooperation in the Asia Pacific (CSCAP Taiwan).
Dr. Yang was awarded the SUSI Fellowship from the US Department of State in capacity of visiting professor of U.S. foreign policy at the Department of Political Science, University of Florida. He was also affiliated with the Center for Southeast Asian Studies at Kyoto University in Japan as visiting scholar. As for academic services, he serves in the international editorial board of the leading international study journal International Studies Review and the Journal of Human Values.
His research interests cover ASEAN regionalism, disaster governance, border politics and resistance politics in Southeast Asia. Dr. Yang has published more than 70 journal articles on China-ASEAN relations, international relations of Southeast Asia, international political economy in the Asia-Pacific in international referred journals such as Pacific Affairs, Pacific Review, Issues & Studies, Journal of Asian Public Policy, China Brief, and his latest co-edited book China’s Footprint in Southeast Asia will be published by the National University of Singapore Press.
- Jeremy Chiang and Alan H. Yang. Sept., 2018. "A Nation Reborn? Taiwan's Belated Recognition of Its Southeast Asia Heritage," the Diplomat, September 28, 2018.
- Jeremy Chiang and Alan H. Yang. Sept., 2018. "China's 'Divide and Conquer' Charm Offensive," the Interpreter, September 26, 2018.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Maris Diokno, H. H. Michael Hsiao, and Alan H. Yang, eds. 2018. China’s Footprint in Southeast Asia. Singapore: National University of Singapore Press.
- Alan H. Yang. 2018. “Unpacking Taiwan’s Presence in Southeast Asia: The International Socialization of the New Southbound Policy.” Issues & Studies. 54 (1): 1-30.
- Pascal Abb and Alan H. Yang. 2018. “The Impact of Democratization, Political Culture, and Diplomatic Isolation on Think Tank Development in Taiwan.” Pacific Affairs. 91(1): 73-94.
- H.H. Michael Hsiao and Alan H. Yang. 2018. “Repositioning Taiwan in Southeast Asia: Strategies to Enhance People-to-People Connectivity.” NBR Brief. pp.1-5.
- Alan H. Yang. 2018. “The Making of “Indo-Pacific: Driving Forces, Diverse Discourses and Contending Strategies.” Issues and Studies. 57(2): 87-105. (In Chinese).
- Alan H. Yang. 2017. “Revisiting Taiwan's New Southbound Policy: Agenda, Networks and Challenges.” Issues and Studies. 56(1): 123-143. (In Chinese).