Dr. Hsin-Huang Michael Hsiao
Prof. H. H. Michael Hsiao is Chairman of Taiwan-Asia Exchange Foundation and Chairman of the Center for Southeast Asian Studies at National Chengchi University. He is also Distinguished Research Fellow, Institute of Sociology, Academia Sinica and Professor of Sociology in National Taiwan University and National Sun Yat-Sen University. Prof. Hsiao is also Chair Professor of Hakka Studies, National Central University. He served as National Policy Advisor to the President of Taiwan between 1996 and 2006, and is currently Senior Advisor to the President of Taiwan.
His areas of specialization include: middle class, civil society and democratization in Asia; environmental movements, sustainability and risk society; and comparative Hakka studies in Taiwan and Southeast Asia.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Hsin-Huang Michael Hsiao, ed. 2018. Middle Class, Civil Society and Democracy in Asia. Oxon: Routledge.
- Maris Diokno, Hsin-Huang Michael Hsiao, and Alan H. Yang, eds. 2018. China’s Footprint in Southeast Asia. Singapore: National University of Singapore Press.
- Hsin-Huang Michael Hsiao, Yu-Yuan Kuan and Shu-Yung Wang, eds. 2018. Taiwan’s Social Welfare Movements and Policy Impacts: 2000-2018. Taipei: Chu-Liu Books. (In Chinese).
- Hsin-Huang Michael Hsiao, ed. 2017, Comparing the Hakka Ethnic Identity in Taiwan and Southeast Asia: continuity, Breakdown, Remaking and Innovation. Chung-Li: National Central University Press/ Taipei: Yuan-Liou. (In Chinese).
- Hsin-Huang Michael Hsiao, Sue-Ching Jou and Shu-Li Huang, eds. 2017, Urban Climate Issues and Governance in Taiwan. Taipei: National Taiwan University Press. (In Chinese).
- Hsin-Huang Michael Hsiao, Hui Yew-Foong and Philippe Peycam, eds. 2017. Citizens, Civil Society and Heritage-Making in Asia. Singapore: ISEAS–Yusof Ishak Institute / Institute of Sociology, Academia Sinica/ IIAS.
- Hsin-Huang Michael Hsiao, Wing-kai Chiu and Po-san Wan,2016, Youth and Social Change in Taiwan and Hong Kong Hong Kong: Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies. (In Chinese).
- Shigeto Sonoda and Hsin-Huang Michael, 2016. Coping with China Risk’s: Challenges to Japanese, Korean and Taiwanese Firms. Tokyo: University of Tokyo Press. (In Japanese).