Taiwan-Asia Exchange Foundation is hiring!
Are you interested in starting a career in international relations?
Taiwan-Asia Exchange Foundation is looking for an assistant research fellow in charge of media and public affairs as well as administrative coordination of our projects.
In such a position, you will be required to plan and execute communication projects in order to promote TAEF’s image and activities domestically and internationally while dealing with project-related administrative tasks. If you have a strong sense of international affairs, are interested in project management, and are attentive to administrative details, you are welcome to join TAEF and take part in developing Taiwan’s external relations.
Taiwan-Asia Exchange Foundation
Founded in 2018, the Taiwan-Asia Exchange Foundation (TAEF) is the first policy-oriented think tank in Taiwan focusing on Southeast Asian and South Asian affairs. In the spirit of the New Southbound Policy (NSP), the goal of the TAEF is to promote comprehensive ties between Taiwan and the 10 ASEAN countries, 6 South Asian states, as well as Australia and New Zealand through cooperation and exchanges in three major fields – including think tanks, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and young leaders – to consolidate a sense of regional community in Asia and establish long-term cooperative partnerships. TAEF is devoted to building new mechanisms for regional cooperation among Asian societies. Our goal is to cultivate standard policy blueprints for Taiwan, ASEAN, and South Asian countries through frequent regional dialogue, while also highlighting Taiwan’s commitment and contributions towards Asia’s development through concrete initiatives for cooperation. In addition, the TAEF hosts various international conferences – including the Yushan Forum: Asian Dialogue for Innovation and Progress – with the aim of strengthening ties with New Southbound Policy partner states and societies, while also inviting other like-minded countries to participate in the regional dialogue.
Assistant Research Fellow
Full-time (40 hours per week)
Within delegated authority, the Assistant Research Fellow will be responsible for the following duties:
Media & Communication
1. Plan and execute communication and promotional activities of the foundation, including but not limited to:
- proposing and implementing strategies for domestic and international advocacy on Taiwan’s New Southbound Policy
- managing the foundation’s website in Mandarin Chinese and English
- managing the foundation’s social media platforms (we are currently on Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube)
- managing domestic and international press/media relations
- working with colleagues to promote the foundation’s activities and research works
- directing film projects that document and promoting TAEF's activities and the New Southbound Policy
2. Editorial responsibilities in Mandarin Chinese and English
- edit and disseminate daily and biweekly newsletters in Mandarin Chinese and English by consolidating information on the Southeast and South Asia region contained in communications and publications received from different sources, including the press
- contribute and produce content for the TAEF Quarterly as executive editor of the editorial team
- produce press releases in Mandarin Chinese and English for TAEF's activities
- act as the executive content manager of TAEF's website and social media
1. Coordinate administrative tasks of the foundation’s flagship programs, including but not limited to:
- managing internship affairs and mentoring interns
- writing official letters
- supporting vendor management (e.g.: quotation inquiry, quality control)
- proceeding payment and reimbursement claims
- assisting in project execution and report edition
Event Management (the Yushan Forum)
1. Plan and execute communication strategies for the forum, including video production.
2. Conference preparation includes contacting panelists, drafting speeches, translating conference files, and editing conference handbooks.
3. Assist in conference organization.
4. Edit conference reports, including but not limited to gathering graphics and text, setting output format, communicating with relevant contractors, and accomplishing other administrative functions
Perform other related duties as required.
1. Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in translation/interpretation, journalism, mass communication, political science, international relations, or other related subjects.
2. Work Experience: A minimum of one year of progressively responsible experience in the public sector, academia, non-governmental organizations, or related areas that demonstrates a good understanding of the management or administration of government, foundations, or associations. Experience in planning and executing communication projects is a big plus.
3. Communication: capable of carrying out at least one of the works below (work portfolio preferred):
- Text production (e.g.: posts, speeches, commentaries) in Mandarin Chinese and English
- Marketing and communication actions (online or offline. Experience in advocacy projects preferred)
- Video production (Using Premier pro is preferred, but not obligatory)
- Graphic design (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, or Canva preferred)
- Social media management
4. Project management: the ability to understand administrative processes, be detailed- minded, willing to work with numbers, and deal with administrative documents. Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously; assess responsibilities and organize tasks in terms of priority.
5. Languages: Proficiency (oral and written) in both Mandarin Chinese and English is required:
- Mandarin Chinese: Non-native speakers are required to present a language certificate that demonstrates a minimum proficiency of TBCL 6 (or equivalent).
- English: Non-native speakers are required to present a language certificate that demonstrates a minimum proficiency of an overall band score of 6.5 in IELTS or 85 in TOEFL iBT (or equivalent).
- Ability to translate documents from Mandarin Chinese to English or vice versa.
- Knowledge of Languages in other languages, esp. Southeast Asian languages is an advantage.
6. Characteristics: Be able to operate independently and work proactively and collaboratively with colleagues; be willing to learn from others; share credit for team accomplishments and accept joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
30,000 - 50,000 / month
Labor and health insurance, pension scheme, annual bonus, and annual leave
How to apply
Please complete your application at
Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis. Early submission is suggested.
The application will be reviewed based on the application materials, an on-site written exam, an interview, and a pre-hire orientation (only a shortlist of candidates will be notified)
Taiwan-Asia Exchange Foundation (Room 1107, 11F, NO.136, Section 3, Ren’ai Road, Da’an District, Taipei)